
Having a Heart to Heart about Designers
Today I had a heart to heart with my employer after stressful three weeks of catalogue production for freelance client. A conversation that started being about clients ridiculous disregard for deadlines and a normal work pace quickly morphed into a whole assessment of my career in design.
I have worked in design for a number of years now. However my career began in the fine art world. I have always been an object fetishist. I LOVE STUFF. Which is what lead me to design; I began to feel that the fine art world was extremely alienating to a majority of the general population. I wanted to start making stuff that was accessible to people of all levels not just people who were members of the small niche of the art world.
For years now I have been idolizing and exposed to the “cowboys” of the art world. If I wasn’t fantasizing about owning the Ed Ruscha book Every Building on Sunset Strip or Some Parking Lots; I was listening to Dave Hickey. This perhaps has given me a somewhat jaded view of the world. I would not give up any of the experiences I have thus far in my life and career but at the advice of my new employer I am giving up the sexiness of the art world cowboy attitude for a little while.
I am returning to my roots of loving stuff.

1 comment:
I love the concept of your term, "object fetishist". Maybe that'll be the title of your next posting. Defining the term, etc...
Post a Comment